These irresistible vegan lemon cookies are soft, chewy and bursting with dairy-free white chocolate chips! Perfect when you’re craving something sweet!
My husband came home from work a while back and immediately started going on about some lemon white chocolate cookies that they’d ordered for a lunch meeting. They sounded really good, so I decided I needed to come up for a vegan recipe for them.
Creating my vegan lemon cookie recipe turned out to be not all that tough to create. This one is adapted from my recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies (which you also really need to make!). It’s almost the same recipe, but instead of flavoring them with cinnamon and vanilla, these are made with lemon juice and lemon extract.
They turned out so good! Perfect with a cup of tea or a big glass of almond milk.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Flour. We’re using plain old all-purpose wheat flour. I can’t promise results with any other variety!
- Baking soda.
- Lemon zest.
- Vegan butter. You can find this near the regular butter at most supermarkets. Look for brands like Earth Balance and Miyoko’s.
- Granulated sugar. Be sure to use organic sugar in order to keep the recipe vegan.
- Light brown sugar. Dark brown sugar will work in a pinch. Oh, and same as above — use organic!
- Non-dairy milk. Any variety that’s unsweetened and unflavored will work. Try soy milk, almond milk, oat milk, or cashew milk.
- Lemon juice. You definitely want to use freshly squeezed juice in order to give your cookies the best flavor.
- Lemon extract.
- Vanilla extract.
- Vegan white chocolate chips. I used King David brand white chocolate chips. If these aren’t available, feel free to leave them out substitute with nuts (like chopped walnuts or pecans). You could even use regular vegan chocolate chips if you’d like.
How to Make Vegan Lemon Cookies
The following is a detailed photo tutorial on how to make this dish. Scroll all the way down if you’d like to skip right to the recipe!
- Whisk your dry ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl: flour, cornstarch, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. Set that aside.
- In a separate, large mixing bowl, beat together the vegan butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Beat everything until creamy, then beat in the milk, lemon juice, lemon extract, and vanilla extract. Make sure your butter and milk are at room temperature before you start mixing.
- Begin beating in the flour mixture, adding about a third of it at a time and beating each addition in before adding the next. The mixture should form a soft dough.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. I like using a small ice cream scoop to measure out my dough and get perfectly round scoops!
- Pop those baking sheets in the oven and bake the cookies until they’ve puffed up and spread out, then place the baking sheets on cooling racks.
- The cookies won’t be set yet, so don’t attempt to eat one or move them off of the baking sheets. Give them a few minutes and carefully test one by sliding a spatula under it before doing so!
- Enjoy your vegan lemon cookies and try to resist eating the entire batch at once!
Shelf-Life & Storage
Vegan lemon cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for about 3 weeks, or in the freezer for about 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
I’m not sure, as I haven’t tried. If you’d like to try it, I’d recommend using an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend.
Most white chocolate is not vegan, which is why I recommend using King David brand (which is vegan).
More Vegan Cookie Recipes
Like this post? If so, be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram, or subscribe to my newsletter. And please stop back and leave me a review and rating below if you try any of the recipes!
Vegan Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate Chips
These vegan lemon cookies are soft, chewy and bursting with dairy-free white chocolate chips! Perfect when you’re craving something sweet!
organic granulated sugar
organic light brown sugar
vegan white chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper.
Whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest together in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
In a separate, large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar together until creamy, about 1 minute.
Beat in the milk, lemon juice, lemon extract, and vanilla extract.
Fold in the white chocolate chips.
Drop the cookie dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving at least 1 inch between them.
Bake the cookies until they’ve spread out and are just barely starting to brown around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes.
Transfer the baking sheets to cooling racks and let the cookies cool for a few minutes in order to set before removing them from the baking sheets.
Vegan Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate Chips
Amount Per Serving (1 cookie)
Calories from Fat 65
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2.9g15%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.